Brief Guide to the Church
Ilkley Parish Church is built on the site of a Roman fort (as at Ribchester across the Pennines, Holyhead and elsewhere). The southern rampart of the fort ran a little to the south of Church Street, the eastern a little to the east of Lower Brook Street.
The present church therefore stands on the ruins of Roman buildings, material from which has been used and re-used in the many re-constructions to which the church has been subjected
The exterior of the Church, though it preserves the general appearance and proportions of a late medieval building, dates in the main from 1860-1 or later. There are only two exceptions to this: one is the fifteenth century tower, which, apart from a window on the north face and the small doorway on the south side, seems to be in its original state (notice the enormous blocks of gritstone used in its construction and the curious little niche high on the south-east buttress); the other exception consists of some of the north walls of the church—the aisle wall which is thought to be of the fourteenth century with fifteenth-century windows and a doorway added, and the clerestory wall, which seems to be medieval, though the windows were inserted in 1880 (notice the difference between the rubble construction of the older section and the regular coursing of the Victorian wall further east).
To see details on many of the fine features of All Saints Church, select one of the links on the right.