The year is 800 A.D. There stand outside the small stone built church of Ilkley (of which two Saxon window arches of Roman origin still exist), two three metre stone shafts, each capped with a separate Cross-piece. A third shaft is in preparation.
For around 1200 years these three Crosses have been powerful silent emblems of the Gospel of Christ in IIkley. From 1860 to the present day is the period of time since the rebuilding and enlarging of the ancient IIkley Parish Church.